Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

Homemade Taco Seasoning




Alright, I know what you're thinking.. Why?.. Why make your own taco seasoning?  It comes in pouches, super easy.   
Well, honestly if you know me, it's really.. Why not?  If I can make it myself, I'd rather.  I know what goes in.. I don't need to add any non-necessary ingredients for things like anti-caking, shelf stability, colour preservatives and so on.  The less the better. 

Even our usual "better" option of Trader Joe's, their taco seasoning packet is WAY too hot for my daughter Scarlett. Even using a tiny bit and a whole lot of sour cream.  Can't make it work. And seriously, this is easy!  Cost effective too.  I make a batch once every 3 months and I am good to go.  I buy my spices in bulk and add what I like. 

No further ado... Just get in that spice cabinet and make it already!  

Taco Seasoning Blend

  • 1/4 cup Chili Powder
  • 1 T. Garlic Powder
  • 2 T. Minced Onion (dehydrated)
  • 1 t. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 T.  Dried Oregano
  • 1 T. Paprika
  • 2 T. Ground Cumin
  • 1 T. Sea Salt
  • 1 T.  Black Pepper  
Mix together and store in a sealed container. 

To use: 

Brown 1 lb. meat and drain fat.  
Sprinkle 1 heaping Tablespoon of taco seasoning mix.  
Make a well in the pan (move meat to the sides) and add 1-2 Tablespoons of tomato paste in the middle.  Cook for 1-2 minutes, letting paste brown. (this step caramelizes the tomato and adds sweetness) 
Mix together with the meat and add 1/2 cup of water or broth. 

Simmer 3-5 minutes, til reduced and thickened.    


No comments:

Post a Comment