Search This Blog

Saturday, September 4, 2010

oatmeal "pizza", of sorts...




Funny thing... I've never been a great breakfast eater.  I much prefer just a cup of coffee and toasted bread, at most.  I force myself to eat a healthy breakfast because I know what I need.  I have always been this way and it seems that the "apple" really doesn't fall far from this tree.
I am constantly worried about her nutrition, whether she is getting enough.. etc.  so breakfast is really stressful for me since she just doesn't want to eat.  However, 99% of the time, if I make oatmeal this way.. she eats a good bit, if not all.  So, now I've got 2 breakfast sure things..  her other fav, you can read about that here.
Nothing major difficult here..  just oatmeal.  Pretty darn simple, but works for us. However, if I don't make it this way exactly, it either is too mushy or watery.. neither of which she will eat.   And if we are heading out somewhere I make this and then scoop and form balls and carry in a container.  Very portable.

Our Morning Oatmeal 

Bring 2 c. water to a boil.
Add 1 c. (not instant) organic whole multi grain blend oatmeal (oats, barley, rye and wheat)
Lower heat and let cook for about 2 minutes.
Stir in up to a tablespoon of sweetener.  I prefer brown rice syrup but you could use maple syrup, honey, brown sugar.   
Turn heat down to low and cover.
Check in 5 minutes for water to be all absorbed.
Turn off heat and let sit 5 minutes, covered.
spread 1/2 thick round on a plate and top with toppings... 

fresh fruit (sliced strawberries, kiwis, bananas, blueberries..)
dried fruit (raisins, craisins, blueberries)
swirl of jam (heat to loosen up and pipe or spoon in a swirl) -- substitute this for the sweetener.
as it cools, you could literally slice it like a pizza.. which is the perfect consistency that she likes.

No comments:

Post a Comment