Search This Blog

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Super charged health boost drink

Came across this recipe in a book called Super Foods, a book I am so glad I picked up.  Full of simple and easy recipes to get going with some super foods in your daily life.  There are several recipes I look forward to making my own practice. 
This drink sounded super healthy and reading the ingredients, I was excited and leery.  Excited knowing that each ingredient is soo good for an immune boost, all having properties of natural antibiotics but skeptical that I probably wouldn't enjoy it. 
Easy enough to make and all ingredients are always in my kitchen.. Lemon, grated ginger, apple cider vinegar, honey and garlic..  in minutes the drink was ready to go.  And much to my surprise, the fresh ginger and lemon really helped with the raw garlic in the drink.  I mean, you can definitely taste it but it wasn't bad at all.  It actually tasted good.  And knowing that each of these ingredients are clutch to boosting your immune system, detoxing and can easily be used as an antibiotic alternative.. that's pretty exciting to me. I imagine coming down with a cold or sore throat.. this is the ultimate throat soother.  Not excited for cold/flu season, but with this at the ready... I feel prepared.  


 Ingredient roundup.. 
2t. grated ginger +1 clove of garlic, smashed + 1 T. apple cider vinegar + juice of 1/2 lemon

Combine all ingredients in pot or teapot.. 

Pour in 1 cup or 1 of boiling filtered water.  Let steep, til cool enough to drink.

Add sweetener of choice.. I love raw honey, especially with the ginger & lemon. 

Strain into a cup and enjoy. Best while hot!

Here's to your health!



BEAT THE FLU with this healthy immune boost drink! 

2 teaspoons grated ginger 
+ 1 clove of garlic, smashed 
+ 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar 
+ juice of 1/2 lemon 
+ 1 cup boiling water 
+ raw honey, to taste 
let steep til cool enough to drink, but note.. easiest to drink when hot!

Tip.. I always have a hunk of fresh ginger in a baggie in the freezer.  When I need it.. I use my rasp or grater and grate it (skin and all) while frozen, as much as I need and then pop the rest back in the freezer for next time.  It works well and you get that fresh ginger taste and nutrients.  Don't try and defrost the ginger and use, it will become a mushy water substance that doesn't work real well. But frozen and grated.. for a stir fry or whatever.. this technique works well.  

Updated 11/13 -- My newest addition to this drink... grated Turmeric.  (anti-inflammatory) makes it bright yellow but it's a health thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment