Growing up it was so nice when mom would make cinnamon toast. You know, wonder bread smeared with butter (probably margarine, who am I kidding) and then sprinkled generously with cinnamon sugar and set under the broiler til melty and toasty. Nom.
Well, these muffins take me there. A cross between cinnamon toast and a cinnamon sugar doughnut.
They are so simple and easy to make, so get up a half an hour before your guest.. and the aroma from these will have them thinking you live over a french patisserie! These are best fresh from the oven. Definitely not a bake ahead muffin, but don't worry.. they are quick and easy.
Now regarding nutritious. I have tried these both ways.. white flour and with whole wheat white and whole wheat blend. If they are all to be consumed the minute they are coming out of the oven.. then the whole wheat works fine. But if they will sit any amount of time or you want to give them away .. the processed white flour works best here, as it is lighter and will deliver a tender baked good. Your choice. And should there be any leftovers, I suggest a quick warm in the toaster oven.. it's worth the minute spent.
Cinnamon Toast Muffins
1 1/2 c. AP flour (or whole wheat white)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/3 c. butter, melted
1 egg (preferably room temperature)
1/2 c. milk
1 t. vanilla
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1. Pre-heat oven to 350º Place liners in muffin tray or spray with cooking spray. (Recipe makes approx. 10 large muffins)
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Set aside.
3. In another bowl whisk together egg, milk and vanilla. Stir melted butter into flour and then add egg mixture into flour/butter mixture and stir till just combined. Nothing more! Over mixing will result in flat, heavy muffins.
4. Fill muffin cups 2/3rd full using a large ice-cream scoop.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes for large muffins. Cool on rack.
|Baked and waiting for topping.|
7. When cool enough to handle. Dip muffin in butter and then in cinnamon sugar.