Been obsessed with broccoli and carrot slaw for over a year now. It is a staple, I pretty much make it weekly. Scarlett loves it, Nana loves and it's super, super easy to do. I mean, you buy a ready-made bag of the broccoli & carrot slaw, add some dressing, sliced apples, dried cranberries and walnuts. That's how we like it. Sometimes I add fresh chopped cabbage, sometimes not. The coleslaw dressing is adapted from several different recipes and finally to where I think it's perfection, hit of vinegar and hit of honey to sweeten just enough.
But then, we were up in Edmonds, WA the other weekend. We just got off the ferry and were looking for a place to eat. Well, I can't remember the name, but man, we lucked out. Really good artisan-bistro food. My friend, Robbin, who was with us got a grilled 4-cheese sandwich and it was pretty amazing. I ordered their broccoli slaw for Scarlett.. and it blew my socks off! Inspired me to up the ante on my slaw. A couple of additions... and we're now at pretty ah-mazing! (If I do say so myself) I liked the slaw before, now I am looking forward to it even more!
Health wise... it's hitting all the marks for me too.. especially if you don't drench the slaw. Just use what you need.
- 1 package ready made Broccoli Slaw (we use trader joe's.. but you can find it at most stores near the cabbage slaw area of the produce section)
- 1-2 apples, large diced
- 1 sm to med red onion, diced small
- 1 cup broccoli crowns, cut into small pieces (discard or save stalks for soup)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
Simple Coleslaw dressing
- 3 T. plain yogurt (We refer Greek full fat)
- 3 T. mayo (I use the olive oil mayo.. but any will do. Veganaise works well too)
- 2 t. dijon mustard
- 2 t. apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 t. honey (agave syrup works if you're watching sugar intake)
- 1 t. celery seed
Whisk all dressing ingredients together. Taste for seasoning.
Pour over and toss with other ingredients. Let sit in fridge at least 1/2 hour before serving.
Perfect dish for summer which is right around the corner! Nice and cool.